Should I Insure My RV?

Most people use their RVs to embrace leisure activities and escape real-world stressors like finding an insurance policy. However, the question of whether or not you should insure your RV is crucial to consider.   

Below, we’ll examine the national RV insurance requirements, what insurance plans will work best for your RV, and where you can find quality insurance.

How Much Insurance Should I Have on My RV?

You may be wondering, “How much insurance should I have on my RV?”

Generally, you need to have some form of personal injury and liability coverage to cover you in case of an accident.

While you won’t need extensive RV insurance, especially if you have a strong driving history and don’t use your RV often, you will need the legal minimum, depending on where you live, since every state has a different level of minimum coverage.

If you use your RV often or permanently live in it, you’ll likely want to enroll in a comprehensive full coverage policy since you’re more likely to get in an accident than those who drive their RV less frequently.

Can You Insure an Old RV?

Yes, you can insure your RV regardless of how old it is or how much you use it. However, the coverage rates for old, heavily used vehicles might be higher than those for new RVs in perfect condition.

RV insurance plans have a range of optional endorsements, many we’d highly recommend for RV owners with older vehicles. Coverages like towing and roadside assistance can help you out if your RV breaks down often.

Should I Buy Gap Insurance for My RV?

A less common but equally important question is, “Should I buy gap insurance for my RV?” Gap insurance isn’t necessary to meet the minimum for RV coverage in any state, but it could bring you peace of mind if you use your RV often or have a history of auto accidents.

What Kind of Insurance Do I Need for My RV?

People need different RV insurance plans depending on what kind of recreational vehicle they have. Specifically, there are three standard RV classes, each demanding a different type of coverage.

  • Class A: Class A RVs are the largest, most advanced type of recreational vehicle. They’re often called motorhomes and look like a bus; these require Class A insurance.
  • Class B: Class B RVs are slightly smaller and less fancy than Class A vehicles and look more like vans than buses. Most of them have a sliding door and an elevated roof.
  • Class C: Class C RVs are bigger inside than Class B vehicles but have a truck chassis and look closer to an average pick-up truck than a van. Most Class C vehicles also have raised roofs.

Call Us Today for Recreational Insurance Services

Gator Insurance Service will find the best rates and coverage options for your RV. Our family-owned and operated team loves helping our clients find peace of mind, and we can’t wait to help you next.

We’ll happily answer your questions and help you find the right insurance plan. Call us at 727-544-0064 to get started.